Your container’s journey
In Quebec, a consumer buying a soft drink in a container subject to a deposit will automatically pay a 5¢ deposit to the retailer. This deposit is refunded when the empty container is returned. Obviously, if the empty container is not returned, the deposit is lost.
AT THE STORE
- The bottler sells his container to the retailer and collects a deposit of $0.05.
- The retailer sells his container to the consumer and collects a deposit of $0.05.
- The consumer returns the container to the retailer and receives a refund of $ 0.05.
- The bottler picks up the empty containers and reimburses the retailer the $0.05, plus pays a commission of $0.02
AT THE PROCESSING PLANT
- The bottler transports the empty containers to the processor.
- The processor sorts containers by material.
- The containers are transported to aluminum, plastic or glass recyclers.
- Aluminum smelter for manufacturing aluminum ingots or coils
- Glass Recycling Plant
- Plastic Recycling Plant
New cans, bottles and other items