Laval Scouts collect funds thanks to consignment
Laval, Saturday May 12, 2018 – A group of 50 scouts from Laval organized a collection of refundable containers with the aim of financing their annual activities. All day long, young scouts from the 205th Saint-Elzéar Troop spread out in the Vimont district of Laval, collecting precious cans and bottles that citizens had thoughtfully placed outside their doors. The funds amassed represents a significant part of the organization’s operational budget. The activity was organized in collaboration with the Provigo supermarket on boulevard René-Laennec. Bravo to these resourceful youngsters and thanks to all these eco-responsible citizens!
Some facts and figures
- Refundable cans and bottles that are returned are 100% recycled.
- The deposit system provides financial support for social organizations and people in need, and leads to the creation of thousands of jobs throughout Québec.
- An aluminum can is recyclable forever without losing any of its qualities.
- The energy saved by recycling one plastic bottle is equal to powering a computer for 25 minutes.
- A plastic bottle can take up to 400 years to decompose.
- An aluminum can takes 200 to 500 years to decompose.
The Québec deposit system exists since 1984. Consignaction was implemented by Boissons Gazeuses Environnement (BGE), a company behind a number of social initiatives. Consignaction aims to promote and maximize recovery of refundable containers. Consignaction coordinates different programs aimed at encouraging consumers to recover and recycle returnable containers, while facilitating access to recycling infrastructure.
Source : Consignaction
Info: 1 877 CANETTE